There is a lot going on with LinkedIn these days! Would you like to know how to leverage this social marketing tool to enhance your career? Here are some places to start, and some tips you might not have heard of before.
- Keyword Optimize Your Title. Instead of using your title and company name, why not put your keywords to better use? Adding a certification is a great idea. For example, if you are a Six Sigma Black Belt, or you have your MBA or PMP Certification, and that achievement is meaningful and impactful to your career progression, then it is totally appropriate to add it after your name.
- Keyword Optimize Your Tagline. Put the tagline under your name to good use by including important keywords. Instead of saying “VP of Company X,” why not say “Operations Executive | Vice President | Software | Fortune 500 Companies”?
- Pick Your Industry Carefully. In the same area as your Title and Tagline you will have to opportunity to display your industry. Remember, if you are considering an industry change, see if you can find a broader keyword to represent yourself.
- Protect Your Brand. Don’t say you are looking for “career opportunities”. Not only can that get you in hot water potentially with your current employer, I have found that advertising your job seeking activities on LinkedIn is not effective.
- Build the Right Network. Invite recruiters that specialize in your position/industry to connect. Become a part of their network so you more readily come up in their search queries. Changing industries? Join groups (note: you can hide certain groups so they don’t show up on your profile) and invite thought leaders and people from companies in your industry of choice to start building the right network. My husband is in the fine wine industry and grew his network of top wineries and presidents of suppliers and distributors in just 30 days – simply by searching for and inviting them to become network connections. His only regret? Waiting so long to do it.